Summer 2018: Staying Grounded in a Time of Uncertainty
Staying Grounded in a Time of Uncertainty
The Summer 2018 issue of Occasional Papers focuses on how we might effectively thrive in the uncertain and difficult situation in which the world finds itself. How can we be grounded in our deepest selves and with God at a time of great outrage, disbelief, and fear for what is ahead? How do sustain ourselves and not become hopeless or numb in light of disconcerting political and ethical decisions we watch being made? What is the role of religious life in response to this milieu? How might religious life leaders make a contribution to the spiritual hungers and needs that are present in society today and among their own members?
- 'The Power of Collective Wisdom' - An interview with Dr. Alan Briskin on the conditions that make wisdom possible in groups, and on the trap of collective folly
- The 'Care of the Soul' in Uncertain Times - An interview with Dr. Thomas Moore on how we might live through these times with wisdom and depth
- Letting Go of What Binds Us: Transforming Grief and Fear - Lynn M Levo offers ideas for managing the array of emotions that often arise in times of rapid and significant change
- 'Another World is Possible' How Might We Help Bring It About? - Amata Miller, IHM writes on the spirituality needed to sustain our work for social transformation
- We Cannot Heal That Which We Cannot Name - Patricia Chappell, SNDdeN and Anne-Louise Nadeau, SNDdeN share observations on what they see blocking the ability of women religious to combat our own racism
- Rooted in a Single Community - Pat Siemen, OP explores what Earth can teach us about living with diversity
- Lessons of a Lifetime - Janice McLaughlin, MM draws wisdom from a life lived in volatile and dangerous situations
- Keeping Our Horizons Wide - LCWR members Cecilia Canales, OP; Gemma Doll, OP; Michele Vincent Fisher, CSFN; Joan Gallagher, CSJ; Joy O'Grady, CSC and Margaret Palliser, OP share how they keep their perspectives broad and their horizons wide.
- For Your Reflection - Ideas for unpacking the insights of these authors and interviewees