The Winter 2018 issue of LCWR’s Occasional Papers takes the theme, “At the Heart of Our Life.” For several years, LCWR has been exploring the enormous shift taking place in human evolution and has been asking questions about the role of religious life as this shift occurs. Along with all the changes transpiring in the global community, changes are occurring as well in religious life as it has been known in recent decades.
As the life undergoes profound transformation, this issue explores what is most at the heart of religious life that makes it of value for these times and for the challenges of the future. What is it that women religious value the most about this life that they wish to nurture and assure will stay strong so that it is not lost as the life undergoes change? What do the people served by religious and the larger global community most need from the presence of religious in the world at this complex, rapidly changing time in the planet’s history? The issue includes an interview with Sandra Schneiders, IHM on living into resurrection.
- Tending the Heart of Our Life - Mary Jo Nelson, OLVM explores how leaders can make the nurturance of the heart of religious life a central focus of their ministry
- Honest Communal Exploration of Key Religious Life Matters - Cathy Bertrand, SSND offers suggestions for transformational conversations on central matters in religious life
- Deepening the Field of Integrity - Margo Ritchie, CSJ looks at the unique opportunities communities have today with large numbers of elder members
- What I Learned Abouth Leadership from a Year of Pilgrimage - Kathy Dougherty, OSF shares how she stays grounded in the challenging work of religious life leadership
- A Fresh Perspective on the Vows - Maria Cimperman, RSCJ offers catalysts for conversations on the vows
- Virtues for the Long Haul - Mary McKay, CSJ writes on how we might cultivate the strengths needed for the "long-distance run" of our lives
- Religious Life As a Resurrection Phenomenon - An interview with Sandra Schneiders, IHM on the relevance of the Resurrection for understanding religious life today
- What We perceive at the Heart of Our Life - Three younger women religious, Jennifer Gordon, SCL; Anna Marie Reha, SSND; and Deborah Borneman, SSCM share what they believe is most at the heart of religious life
- For Your Reflection - Ideas for unpacking the insights of these authors and interviewee